Monday, September 23, 2013

Ethiopia: Health Heroes - Women Taking the Lead in Health in Ethiopia 

The UK support to the Global Fund is helping to bring healthcare to the doorstep of rural Ethiopians through the training and deployment of health extension workers.
While women continue to bear the brunt of health problems globally, many women are leading the way - inspiring improvements in healthcare and saving lives.
Abinet, 18, a farmer from a small community in Ethiopia believes he contracted tuberculosis (TB) from a friend whilst living in the city. "At the beginning, I thought it was just a common cold but I had a very serious cough. I couldn't sleep late at night," explains Abinet.
Ethiopia is one of 22 high-burden countries for TB and the disease is one of the main causes of morbidity and mortality. Initially, Abinet relied on traditional medicine, but his health didn't improve and only got worse. This made him attend his local health centre.
"When I was very sick at the beginning, I had to be helped to the clinic. I could not walk there on my own. I had to sit and rest on the road because I was weak," says Abinet.
The health centre is managed by Workalem Haile, 28, a local woman trained as a Health Extension Worker (HEW) through a programme supported by the Global Fund and the UK government. In total the programme has trained 37,000 HEWs across the country.
Workalem ensured Abinet was tested for TB, and when the results came back as positive he was prescribed the necessary medication. During the 6 months it took for Abinet to recover, Workalem visited his home regularly to make sure he continued to take his medication.
"My health has improved because of Workalem's help. I would like to thank her very much," says Abinet.
Taking the lead in health
For Workalem, the case of Abinet reflects a typical day as a HEW. Both Workalem and her colleague Misrach are responsible for the health centre in the village of Chama Hembecho, overseeing health services for over 2,200 families. Due to their hard work and dedication, there has been remarkable progress, particularly in children's immunisation, hygiene and family planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment